Monday, April 18, 2011

The letter O

O is for Obadiah

“And the Lord himself will be king!” Obadiah 2:21

As I had pondered about my word selection for the letter O…Obadiah kept coming to my mind. Obadiah is a two chapter book in the old testement. A small book with a lot of punch!

Obadiah was a prophet from Judah who told of God’s judgment against the nation of Edom. Obadiah’s name means “servant (or worshiper) of the Lord.” The main purpose of the book of Obadiah was to show that God judges those who have harmed his people.

Obadiah warned of God’s judgment on Edom. God was displeased with both their inward and their outward rebellion. Unfortunately, this rebellion continues today with many of the same sins being repeated. At times we may wonder how much longer evil will continue. Although it is sad to read of the destruction, what a great reminder that God is always in control!!  He is the reason for our hope!



2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

I have not ever thought much about Obadiah. It's kind of a cool name, though.

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks for leaving your thoughtful comment on my blog. I can't begin to imagine all you've been through, but I do hope my post didn't sound too whiney to you. :-) My prayer is that God uses your experience to touch the lives of many women!

Blessings to you!