Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Barabbas

B is for Barabbas


To be honest, I had a few other “B” words from the bible that I was thinking about using for today’s post. Like the word blessing, or a teaching on the disciple Barnabas. However, as I was doing some researching, I came across the name of Barabbas. I tell ya, this man messed with my heart and mind all day.

Barabbas means “son of the father/teacher," isn’t that interesting that yesterday’s word was Abba?

If you recall during the trial of Jesus, Pilate offered the release of one prisoner—which was a customary favor given by the Roman governor at the time of the Passover feast. Pilate had appealed to the crowds for the release of Jesus, instead the crowds shouted, “Crucify him! Release Barabbas to us!” (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.) So Barabbas was released and Christ was crucified.

The crowds in their ignorance, or unbelief chose the wrong guy. As I read this account in the book of Luke, I realized that I am like the crowd…often times choosing the wrong guy or wrong thing over Jesus? How many times during the day do I choose something other than Christ?  Like when I am running late for work and say a few choice words to other drivers. Or when I choose to spend hours on the computer and yet can’t find 5 minutes to spend in God’s word? How about when I choose to gossip when I know better? Or when I stretch the truth just a little bit? Or when my life gets out of balance because of my unwise choices on how I spend my time? With tears in my eyes and a very heavy heart…I cry “Abba I am sorry. Please forgive me. Please help me choose You and Jesus all the time!”

1 comment:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great choice. Thanks for the Bible story.