Thursday, April 14, 2011

The letter L!

L is for love


“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34

These were some of the last words Jesus spoke to his disciples. Many times I have pondered these words…do you ever wish that Jesus would have included a few more words to the phrase? Like the words, love those who are kind, loving and caring to you…but, he forgot to say those words, and I am sad to admit I often forget he didn’t say those words. It’s tough to love someone who has hurt or wronged you. How about betrayal or abandonment?



Let’s face it…some people are a challenge to love. They make it hard for us to love them. Typically these people are unable to love because of their own brokenness. When faced with this opportunity, I find that if I pretend to put the person in a box, wrap it with beautiful wrapping paper and give them to God….while praying these words: “God, I have put xxxx in this box. I know they are a child of yours who you love just as much as you love me. However due to the situation, I am struggling with having loving feelings towards them. Could you please fill me with your spirit so that I can love them through you?” This prayer has enabled me to cross bridges I didn’t want to cross and swim in seas when I would rather be lying on the beach.

Q. How do you show love to someone who is difficult to love?



3 comments:

Maryann said...

Showing someone love who is hard to love is one of the things I struggle with most, I would rather avoid...then I have to remember these are people who are broken, hurting, trapped, prisoners of their own pain. I find sending notes of encouragement to be very helpful in showing love to those people...there is always something you can say to encourage

Mary Aalgaard said...

For me, it's stepping back and letting them live their own lives. It's not up to me to fix them, or change them. I can show respect, be polite, but I can also set my boundaries. In other words, I let go and let God.

nancyspoint said...

Kim, This post reminds me of some of my past students that seemed to find it so hard to get and keep friends. They appeared to be unlikeable to other kids. Admittedly, some kids are even hard for teachers to like. I have found making that extra effort to accept such kids and make them feel valued gives me back so much. I still get a Christmas card every year from a grateful mother whose son was one of those "unlikeable" kids. I was simply "nice" to her son and she has never forgotten. Simple kindness goes a long way. That's what I try to remember.