Friday, April 15, 2011

The letter M!

M is for Mary and Martha

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10: 38-42

Isn’t it interesting that women today still struggle with the challenges that faced women in Jesus time? Oh, how I find myself seeking and desiring the intimacy with the Lord that Mary had, while at the same time I find myself burdened with a “to do” list that never seems to end…

The footnote in my bible states this:

Mary and Martha both loved Jesus. On this occasion they were both serving him. But Martha thought Mary’s style of serving was inferior to hers. She didn’t realize that in her desire to serve, she was actually neglecting her guest. Are you so busy doing things for Jesus that you’ve not spending any time with Him? Don’t let you service become self-serving. Jesus did not blame Martha for being concerned about household chores. He was only asking her to set priorities. It is possible for service to Christ to degenerate into mere busy work that is totally devoid of devotion to God.

I am so thankful for Mary and Martha’s example of using their gifts to serve God. While my tendency is to be a “doer” like Martha, I am trying to choose to sit at His feet first…knowing that His strength will help carry my daily load.

Q. Do you have a tendency to be more of a Martha or a Mary?

3 comments:

BreastCancerSisterhood.com said...

Since James died, I've told the Lord that I'm as surrendered as a person can get; please use me as you see fit; show me which doors to walk through, and help me walk through them. That is part of my daily prayer, because I know He knows my needs and ways I can be of service better than I do.

XOXOXO,
Brenda

Mary Aalgaard said...

I lean towards being Mary (not just because of my name), but feel guilty for just sitting around talking when there is so much work to be done.

Maryann said...

My tendency was to be a Martha, so much to do, so little time, and after all someone had to do it right? Life changed and I had no choice but to be a Mary...sitting at the feet of Jesus. Now I am more intentional, letting him direct my steps, guide me in my choices