Sunday, October 4, 2009

Caring Bridge Entries

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:38 PM, CST
Hi everyone! A great big thanks to everyone who has written such kind and encouraging messages on our guestbook. Your words and deeds have really helped lighten our load.
Today was a very full day for the VP's. We started the day at the plastic surgeon's office, than went and had coffee at Great Plains (delicious!!). We than met with Dr Krie, our oncologists at Avera. She spent about two hours with us explaining triple negative breast cancer, the prognosis, chemo, and radiation. We found out that doing chemo almost doubles my chance of not having a reoccurance of cancer. So, although this isn't the road we would have chosen, this is the road we will be doing. The way I look at it is that we are going to let the medical world do their part, I will do my part and we will let God do His!!! I will start my chemo on Wednesday, February 11th and have it every two weeks x 4cycles and than will have a different type of chemo for 2 to 3 months. Dr Krie said that although everyone responds different to chemo, I will probable be at 1/2 speed for the week following my treatment. With the exception of my first treatment, all other treatments will be on Thursdays, as the 3rd and 4th day are usual "crash" days. At this time I am still going to attempt working and so thankful that I have the option of flexible scheduling and possible doing some work from home. I did have some labs, chest xray, and echo (checks heart function to make sure heart can handle chemo) today--thankfully they have all turned out okay. We were very impressed with the Avera Cancer Team and look forward to working with them.
Although today did get to be long and tiring, I was so thankful that Ferlin, Steven, Kalina, Brett and Kelsey were with me. I am so very blessed!
Friday, January 16, 2009 3:47 PM, CST
Not much news to share today, but my wonderful brother who took my husband and I out for lunch today, wondered why I haven't updated lately. So, here's just a bit on the VP's...my strength from surgery is increasing every day and so is my movement with my arms. I have been able to work 4 to 6 hours a day at work, come home and rest and than work a few more hours. Ferlin was able to get out and do some snow removal this week, which is good for his business. The oncologists called and said that I don't qualify for any clinical trials (which is okay by me....too many other decisions to think about anyway.) She also said that after my first round of chemo: every other week times 4 , I will than have my second round of chemo weekly times 12 weeks. Still having a bit of a challenge thinking about chemo and the side effects, but choosing not to dwell on it until Feb. Just busy getting my life in order before it slows down again.
It's amazing how your focus changes when you hear the "C" word. Every day is a gift from the Lord, waiting to be unwrapped.
Ferlin has been busy creating a beautiful oasis for me in our living room...lush, green plants, a mini water fall, soothing music, blankets and books. Hoping like anything that I won't be able to enjoy them too much, but very nice of him to create such a beutiful area for me to rest in the months to come.
Thanks to everyone for your prayers, love and encouragement! We appreciate everything so very much!!
Ps. even though there isn't a way to respond to the messages written in the guestbook, I read and reread your messages often...the are day brightners and a great encouragement! Thank you from all of us!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:59 PM, CST
Think Pink. Okay, you know you have spent too much time in the world of breast cancer, when you close your eyes to go to sleep and all you see are floating pink ribbons. That was the story of yesterday. Ferlin, Kalina, Kelsey and I are started our day picking out a wig...we shared lots of giggles and found a really cute wig! We are very fortunate to live is SF as every year there is the Avera Breast Cancer Race which raises funds to provide one wig to SF patients with breast cancer. Since my insurance doesn't cover a wig cost, this really is a great service. We than looked at Avera and Sanford for different hats and scarves, didn't pick anything up yet, as I am unsure what I will use...time will tell. We than had some follow up appts for Kelsey. Although I was tired when I got home, I was able to spend a fair amt of time researching breast cancer, esp triple negative (the kind I have)...so many women had the same story as mine, they were doing everything they thought they could to prevent cancer by eating healthy, exercise, etc...1 in 8 women will get breast cancer...in my opinion that number is way to high, so please join me in prayer that a cure can be found in our life time, so our children don't have this aweful disease to battle.
This weekend I was able to ride with my sister, Bobbi and her husband, along with my dad to go see Nick, Sandi and my mom at Mayo. Wow, is Nick doing good...I am so inspired by him and Tammy and their journey. It was very nice to see my mom and visit with her, it always amazes me that no matter how old we get, there is nothing like being able to share our joys and struggles with our parents. It was also fun to hang out with Bobbi (you guys would be amazed at what a great mother she is...her children are very blessed!)
I had an appt today with my plastic surgeon and got another "fill"...think I only have two more to go...we will do an implant exchange after treatment is finished for the cancer. Speaking of the cancer, I fear I may not have been clear in my last updates. Here is the plan so far: I will start chemo on Feb 11, will go every two weeks for a total of four times, than I will go every week for a total of 12 weeks. Unsure at this time if I will need radiation. I just know that I want to kick this thing the first time.
My spirits are really pretty good and have had very few tears this last week. Not that tears are bad as I tend to shed them pretty easy, but do feel that I am accepting this road a bit more, trusting in God for guidance and strength. All of your support, love and kindness sure has helped too...our thanks to everyone!

No comments: