Sunday, October 4, 2009

Caring Bridge Entries

Monday, June 8, 2009 8:00 PM, CDT
Blessing! Blessing! We got a Blessing!
I am so excited to share with everyone the extraordinary miracle we have received in our family…..Apollo Althoff joined our family early Saturday morning! A great big welcome to our special little guy!
Friday evening, I received a phone call from my son in law asking if I would come to the hospital and help him coach my oldest daughter through labor and delivery. What an honor! What an experience! As I held Kalina’s hand through each contraction and whispered sweet words of encouragement to her, I was thanking and giving praise to God that He has allowed me life to share part of this special miracle. Throughout the birthing process, I was amazed at Kalina’s stamina and perseverance as she was determined to have a “natural” child birth. As the labor pains grew stronger, I often had to turn my head to shield my daughter from seeing my tears. Oh, how I wanted to take the pain from her. So after 30+hours of labor (with absolutely no drugs—amazing), we were blessed with a 7lbs 12 oz very active and healthy little boy. A very special thank you to Steven and Kalina for letting me share such a precious experience with you all--your little guy has all ready melted all of our hearts. (check out the pics)
Upon reflection of the experience, I wondered if this is how God might feel…does He (like I did) cry when His children are in pain and hurting. As I continue on this cancer journey, trying so hard to push through the pain and fatigue, I personally find great comfort to be able to climb up into my Father’s lap and let Him hold me, coaching me to keep going, quietly reminding me, that like the birthing process, when my cancer treatment is completed there will once again be a new life….MINE!!
Thankfully only three more chemo treatments left to administer…Dr Krie warned me last week this a tough marathon and that I really need to slow it down to be able to finish the race…so, as frustrating as it is, I am once again hitting the couch—anxiously waiting for my body to heal. (Thankfully, I am able to continue to work full time, but with a flexible schedule and adjusted hours, however I am really limiting any other social obligations or activities.) After all, I need to heal quickly as I have some serious grandma duties waiting for me.
Thanks again for all who continue to walk with us…praying for us and helping to take care of our physical needs…we so appreciate you and are so thankful for you!!

Ps…on a completely different note: As most of our close friends and family know, I do the “bald” look often. The other evening when Ferlin and I were visiting with our neighbors, I noticed our neighbor holding this chubby, bald looking animal…naturally I inquired about this creature, it turns out they had shaved their cat…I couldn’t help but state “I hear bald is very “vogue” this year!”…Since I have never been into fashion or beauty, it tickled me that it appears I am setting a new trend. Isn’t it fun to find the humor in this journey!
Monday, June 15, 2009 8:56 PM, CDT
Mr. Braxy strikes again!
In case you hadn’t heard, Mr. Braxy really knocked Ms Kim out last week. We even heard that Ms Kim had to use some of her sick time from work (which we know she hates to do). We spoke with Ms Kim today and she stated she’s just thankful that the injuries weren’t worse and she could recuperate at home with her family. Don’t know if this is a for sure thing or not, but apparently boxing can be hard on finger nails??? Well, so is Mr. Braxy…Ms Kim’s nails are uggglyyy…and painful. (Looks like some of them may fall off.) Good thing, Mr. Braxy only gets two more punches at Ms Kim. However, Ms Kim was heard saying “Come on Mr. Braxy, bring it on and punch that cancer out!!!!!” This week’s match had to be moved up a day earlier (Wednesday) because of the referee’s (Dr Krie) schedule. Stay tuned for an update after this week’s match!

Hi everyone! The road is getting a bit more challenging as I find that I need more and more rest…I am so blessed that Ferlin and the kids (and everyone else in our lives) have been so understanding and helpful. Last week the bone pain was at its highest since starting chemo, but thankfully the last few days advil has been working well. Can you believe it? The chemo journey is almost over. As I sit and ponder over the last 6 months, there are so many life questions I find myself asking, a few fears that are surfacing, and lots of praises I find myself giving!!! Also lots and lots THANKS I want to give!!! Your words of thoughtfulness written on the guest entry, sent in cards or emails, telephone calls and selfless acts of service really have helped encourage my family and I!!! (Warning: For those of you who continue to keep reading my caring bridge after the chemo journey ends, I will be sharing my thoughts on some of those life questions and also on how God is using His Word to help me with those fears.)
Here’s a pondering thought for you all that I came across in a book I was reading this weekend:
Many of us spend our time driving along the road of life using our review mirror. We’re disappointed in what we did. We’re afraid of decisions we made. But, just like driving a car, keeping an eye on the review mirror isn’t a very successful navigational tool. There’s a reason the car’s windshield is so much bigger than the rear view mirror.
Thanks for continuing to pray for my family and I. As the psalmist says in Psalm 107… “The Lord sent out His word and healed them”… We love you all and so appreciate everything!
Ps. Grandbaby and his parents are all doing well!
Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:20 PM, CDT
Happy Father’s Day! Happy Birthday! And Happy Anniversary to the guy I have been blessed to share 23 years of marriage!
Ferlin, thank you for being a man after God’s own heart and leading your family through the paths of life. We are so blessed to have you as a father and husband. I know our road has been a bit bumpy at times…thanks for helping to repair the potholes of the past and supporting me through this season of road construction. I am so proud and honored to call you my husband. All my love today and always.
Also, Happy 3rd Anniversary to Steven and Kalina! You both bring us such joy and blessings. Your love for each other is a beautiful reminder to all the blessings of marriage. Little Apollo is one blessed little guy to have you as his parents.Ps. I am updating this while the sweetest little guy is resting on my tummy....doesn't get any better than this! One positive thing about going through treatment at this stage in our little guys life is that grandma has lots of time to just hold her bundle of joy!!

No comments: