Sunday, October 4, 2009

Caring Bridge Entries

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 9:06 PM, CST
My brother, Jody is right…bald heads in South Dakota winters get cold! But you all should see the cute little pink fleece hat I have to wear. When I give my hubby his good night kiss, I tease him that he is kissing Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie with her night cap on…
An update on how chemo #2 went…first of all I found out that the chemo regime I am currently taking is rated 5 out of 5 for side effects (no wonder it kicks me!)…but the good news is I am half done with this first round, only two more to go! As most of you know, I was put in the hospital with this round, we needed to monitor my heart as the chemo (or premeds they give me with the chemo) is making my heart go a little too fast. With this hospitalization we found out that as long as I take it very easy (like, not do anything…) my heart rate stays manageable. Even a simple walk to the bathroom would elevate my heart rate, which ends up making me short of breath and really nauseous. Speaking of nausea, the meds they gave me in the hospital made it more manageable than the first round. (Only had nausea the first few days) The hardest and most challenging for me is the extreme (and I mean, extreme) fatigue. I never knew a person could sleep so much and then sleep some more. I keep trying to remind myself that this is just a season and it too, shall pass. So far, thanks to a very understanding and caring employer, I have been able to work a flexible schedule…I actually made it to the office for four hours today!
I’ve been wearing my wig when I go out in public, but at home “bald is beautiful!”…the spirit within me doesn’t like to be confined to a hat/wig…I have been experimenting with scarves and actually don’t mind them; they provide a “fun” element to the wardrobe. One thing for sure is that it doesn’t take me long to get ready in the morning!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! To all are walking this journey with my family and I. We truly appreciate and are grateful for all your love and kindness. The cards, emails, guest book entries are read over and over; especially on the tougher days…they are an encouragement and a blessing! The delicious meals we have received (and clean house) are also so appreciated!
**please know that it is not my intent to ever have my journal entries be a “pity party”, it would be so easy to write only of the good times, but that wouldn’t be the reality of life with cancer. It is my prayer and hope that my journal entries bless you, my friend who is reading, knowing that even though the road of cancer can be a hard and challenging, filled with frustration and tears at time, laughter and joy at other times…we all can take comfort in knowing that there is a God who gives us strength when we can’t stand, courage when we are frightened, and love at ALL times! My blessings to you all!
Friday, March 6, 2009 1:21 PM, CST
Happy Friday to you all! It looks like an absolutely beautiful day outside and I hear we may have some snow this weekend…sure will make Mr. Ferlin happy.
Well, sometimes we find ourselves on a journey in life where it gets a bit tougher than we expected, last evening after I got home from work; I started experiencing chills, low grade fever and a rapid heart rate. Consulted with the doctor on call and was advised to go to the ER. Can you guess where this is heading? Yup, I was admitted to the hospital with a really low white count and started on IV antibiotics. Actually by the time we were through in ER I was feeling pretty crumby, so didn’t mind the admission. Feeling some better this morning, still struggling with fever/chills, but not near as bad. The doctor said this morning that I can go home when my counts go up, so hopefully tomorrow! This makes the third admission in three weeks, I told Ferlin this morning…”three strikes and I’m out”. Though we have once again “hit a bump”, I am so thankful for the gift of faith. To be able to call out to God, brought such comfort in a scary time. Thank you for all those who prayed on my behalf. Today I came across this verse in my “joy” notebook, Isaiah 40:31 states “those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength…they will soar on wings like eagles: they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.” What greatness and encouragement to know that the Lord gives us the strength when we are weary! Blessings to you all!
I will let you know when I get to go home. Oh, yah, I was going to let you all know that lint rollers work great as a brush when stubbles of hair are falling out! Who would of thought?
Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:19 PM, CDT
Hi Everyone,
We got Kim's password from her to get on her Caring
Bridge Site. Kim and Ferlin's friends are planning a
Benefit meal and silent auction to be held Thursday, March 19th, 2009 at the Firehouse Underground
located at 400 N. Main, downtown Siioux Falls.
The benefit will be starting at 5:00 p.m. and go until
8:00 p.m. We would love to see all our friends and family at the benefit.
Thanks--Sandy(Kim's mom) and Bobbi(Kim's sister)
P.S.--Kim wanted us to let every one know she is
getting out of the hospital tonight. Good for Kim!

No comments: