Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Power of a Whisper by Bill Hybels


Shhh, did you hear it? Can you feel it?  The nudge or whisper you just heard could be from God.  If your like me it can be a challenge to know if the voice you heard was from God or just your imagination gone wild.  In Bill Hybels newest book, The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God. Having the Guts to Respond, Pastor Hybel shares story's of God whispers in people's lives. 

This was the first book I have read by Bill Hybels and I was pleasantly surprised.  For a non-fiction, religious book, it was a easy read, yet there was a great many pondering thoughts that could challenge a person. (if you take the time to ponder.)  One of the things I appreciated about the book was the authentic nature it was written.  The examples and story's are very real and believable. 

Throughout the book, Pastor Hybels takes the reader on a journey of how he responded to God nudges and hearing God whisper in his life.  He leads through example on how we, too, can hear God whisper.

In my opinion, one of the greatest resources Pastor Hybel gives us is short list of five filters that can help us test every whisper we receive.  Below is the filter list, you should read the book to get more details.
Filter 1:  Is the prompting truly from God?
Filter 2:  The Scripture Filter
Filter 3:  The General-Wisdom Filter
Filter 4: The Wiring Test
Filter 5:  The godly Counsel Test

This is definitely a book I would recommend to anyone who needs encouragement that God is active and alive in our daily life or if someone is searching for the next step in their life journey.

I was given a copy of The Power of a Whisper as an advanced reader copy by Zondervan in exchange for my reading it and writing an honest review of the book. No other compensation was received and all views are mine and mine alone.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Oh Kim, you are a dear, sweet lady and I can't thank you enough for all your kind comments and all your prayers. You have obviously been thru so much and I can't tell you how happy I am that you are now on the other side ... my prayers will be that you remain there :) Tks so much for your view on the Book. It sounds like something I would enjoy :) Oh I almost forgot ... they took the drain tubes out today and can you believe I didn't feel a thing!!! Your comment definitely gave me the courage I needed :) Have a safe journey!!! God Bless :)