Friday, July 9, 2010

Celebrating the Return of Dreams

In my inbox today was a blurb written by a fellow 10 year breast cancer survivor sharing how when she was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at the age of 31, her psychologists told  her she was grieving the loss of her dreams.  That statement took my breath away.  I remember the day I was diagnosed and had the thoughts that I would never dream again.  I didn't think I would live through treatment.  But, slowly, my dreams started to be uncovered and I started planning...

I still remember sitting in the doctors office waiting for my lab results to see if I could recieve my chemotherapy of not, visiting with the social worker and my mom.  I don't remember the topic of the discussion, but I do remember saying "We have to stay on schedule as next summer I have plans to fulfill a long waited dream!" The social worker politely asked me what was my dream.  I shared with her how I have always wanted to go to the She Speaks conference.  (Not that I knew how to write, speak, or anything else, it was just something I wanted to do.) Fast forward 1 year...and it's almost here!  In just a few weeks, I will be boarding an air plane and flying to North Carolina!  I want the time to hurry and get here, yet, I want the time to drag, so I have more time to prepare and anticipate!  Isn't anticipation a big part of fulfilling your dreams? 

There are so many thoughts and emotions running wild in my mind, I can't wait to share 'em!

7 comments:

Debbie Simler-Goff said...

Kim, How awesome that you will get to live out your dream very soon by going to the She Speaks Conference! May God broaden your path and enlighten your mind through this experience!

Mary Aalgaard said...

I am so proud of you for surviving and letting your dreams go beyond your imagination. You'll be terrific, and make wonderful memories along the way!

Kimberly said...

I am so excited for you that your dream of going to She Speaks is about to be a reality! I am also in a crazy state of anticipation!!!

What track are you doing? I am doing the writer's track. Not that I consider myself a writer either! I am a bit nervous and STILL praying about what to take for the writer's critique!

I'll be praying for you as your prepare! Hope we run into each other while we are there! :)
Blessings,
K

Daria said...

Hi Kim, thank you for your kind words. I look forward to reading about your journey.

All the best to you!

JeMA said...

Keep dreaming Kim! I love how you have embraced your creativity, allowing yourself vision!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, it is so wonderful that you are living your dream by attending this conference. I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it. Ooodles of luck xxxxx

Running the race said...

Kim, I am so excited to see what God is going to do through the She Speaks Conference. He is amazing already! :)