Sunday, September 19, 2010

Simply Sunday

My ponderings lately are on this video that was posted on  Peace for the Journey.  The Cancer Crusade Movie....here are the words to the movie:

I have cancer but cancer does not have me.
Cancer is not who I am.
It is only a bend in the road that is my life’s journey…
An unexpected detour on my path.
It is a lesson in the cosmic school room that is human existence.
So I will pause to rest…..and heal…and study the lesson…
Before I move on to my life beyond cancer.
I will not give into fear.
And I will not be discouraged by setbacks.
Setbacks are only opportunities to review the lessons.
I will not be ashamed of my scars
My scars are the brushstrokes in the masterpiece that is my life.
I will be thankful for the many blessings that cancer has brought into my life:
People I would have never known.
Love that I have never been still or quiet enough to witness.
Humility I needed.
Strength I thought I had lost,
Courage I never knew I had.
I will remember I can still have fun.
And that its okay—even healthy! to be silly.
I will remember that to find joy in rainbows…
I must endure the rain.
And I will remember always that…
While I may have cancer…
Cancer does not have me!

This poem was such a beautiful encouragement today as I am once again "couch bound" due to the cyclic back pain.  Instead of getting frustrated and discouraged, I am using this setback as a time to review the lessons of my cancer journey.  To reflect and meditate on the plans that God has for me.  Some days I wish God would hand me the map with the directions clearly marked.  I am good at following the directions, it is just interrupting them that trips me up. 
When doing some reading this morning in Lysa Terkeurst's book, Becoming More Than A Good Bible Study Girl and Lysa states "I have finally landed.  That's the way I feel since I stopped that intense search for what I am supposed to become in life.  I still have goals and hopes for my future, but they no longer send me into a striving frenzy. But I must continue to pursue truth that keeps me grounded and God's love that keeps me filled."
So, today finds me pursuing truth...

3 comments:

Running the race said...

Hi Kim, hey I am liking your new blog look! I too have been not on the couch via physical, but on the couch via mentally being able to process information quickly which is such a huge part to my job. Thanks so much for the wonderful poem. While in the past I had cancer I am now at a place where there is NED I am dealing with the aftermath of some herrendous treatment cancer does not have me! Hugs!

Kimberly said...

Today finds me pursuing truth, too. That is a great quote from Lysa's book.

Praying for you with your back pain!
Love and prayers,
K

Nancy said...

This is just a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it. I am trying to be open to what good things my cancer diagnosis will bring into my life. I am a new blogger and hoping that will be one of the good things. Hope you can visit my site and let me know what you think.