Monday, May 31, 2010

Revisiting the Roots

The alarm said 5:43AM and my body was shouting “just a few more minutes of sleep.” This was not to be, with a cup of coffee in one hand and a cereal bar in another, my husband and I set off for a morning of traveling down memory lane. Our first stop this morning was the town of Luverne, MN, the small community in which my husband and I spent our formative years. We shared our school memories, family memories and our “dating” memories. Our next stop was by some land that we currently own and our former home in Hardwick, MN. Hardwick is the community we spent the first 16 years of our marriage and our children’s growing up years. Our family’s history is rooted in this community. After this stop on memory lane, we drove to Chandler, MN. This is the community where my husband’s maternal family has its roots. We visited the grave site of my husband’s grandma and uncles. My husband shared with me the positive influence and beautiful memories he has of these individuals in his life.

I share with you this journey as today was a “stop and think” moment in the journey of our family life. My husband and I were able to travel back through time and memories, reliving the good and the bad. The constant in the stories we shared was the presence of God directing our path, providing us light in the darkness. We discussed how our marriage is one of the greatest stories of God’s redemption. (a story to be told at a later time.) We were able to process some goals and share some dreams, knowing that all of our dreams are the Lord’s. By traveling to the past, it helped us redefine our future. Today we were given the blessing of remembering yesterday’s memories.



Just thought I would share our “blue bag” experience. Although it saddens me when someone has to walk the cancer journey, there is no greater joy than being able to share the hope and promise of God!

5 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

What a great journey story it is! Yes, those trials, we could do without, but we can see how they draw us closer in relationships. Blessings! (don't know what happened to the comment you tried to leave on my blog)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Kim, I love the photo of all of you gals. You are looking especially beautiful. :)

Running the race said...

Kim, going back and revisiting the past as a place that we have been is wonderful to reflect on. It is a place we want to visit but wouldn't want to stay there. Why because we would miss all of the new blessings God has for us. Thanks for the reminder of the benefit of revisiting our past. Sounds like a great date!

Love the photo!

My Army Brats and Me said...

hmmm revisiting our journey....tough but I do it often so I can help others to lighten their fears:) Hope you are having a wonderful day. Paying forward is awesome!

Sisters

Cindy
fighting like a girl

JeMA said...

Thanks for sharing your hope! It is reassuring to see God was there with us in our darkest of struggles.