Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Something new--Pilates, anyone?

At 5:20 AM, my daughter and I grabbed our gym bags and ventured off in the cold to try out a new exercise class.  Today's class:  Mat Pilates  It's a good thing I wasn't fully awake, when we first arrived at our class. For if I would have been, I would have turned around and left when I saw how many people were in the class.  Really? Don't people believe in sleeping in?  And they all looked so perky!  It is hard to believe 2 weeks ago, I could hardly get up by 7 am and today I spent 45 minutes twisting, turning and tightening. Amazing! 

Anyways, in the past, the class size would have intimidated me.  I would have been too afraid to let others see the pathetic state of my deconditioned body. 

Guess what?  I found out today, nobody's really watching you...they are too busy trying to follow the instructor to notice you.  Trust me...I had to modify many of the moves.  For me, showing up and trying a new class was a celebration and a victory! (Someday, I will be strong enough to keep up.)

I thought of you all when I was laying on the mat...exhaling in and exhaling out...especially when the instructor shared some words that made me do a "stop and think."  She stated, "I want you to really concentrate on your breathing.  Nice and relaxed.  Deep breath in and out.  For some of you, this may be the only time today you stop and breath..."

How true I found her words.  How many days do we go without stopping to breath?  Without fully appreciating "the miracle of today!"

Well, my muscles aren't very happy with me right now, so think I will go soak them in a tub of nice hot water.

Q. Did you have any "stop and thinks" today?

2 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Good for you leaving your self-consciousness at the door. It really doesn't matter what you wear, what shape you're in, or if you're a beginner in the class.
I had a pause moment while I got my hair cut & colored. It felt good.

Play off the Page

Susan said...

I'm so proud of you for stepping out of the box and trying new things!! I've found that stopping to breathe and get quiet is the best way to refocus on Him. And heaven knows I've got dozens of distractions and need reminders!!