Monday, January 17, 2011

2011 Word for the Year

Sometimes the words we read, leave the mind quickly...and other times the words follow us around, chasing us through out the day.  Recently, I have found myself being chased by words written by  two friends and fellow bloggers:  Play off the Page and Peace Garden Writer.  In their recent blog posts, they both offer the challenge of finding a word or phrase to represent the upcoming year.

So, I have been doing a lot of pondering and praying. 

Hmmmm, before I could look forward, I found myself remembering the past.  What word or words could I use to describe these past few years? Interestingly enough. the words that have come to my mind....start with R.  (so does my maiden name--Reisch.)

In 2009--Rest.  Traveling through cancer treatment, I quickly discovered that peace only comes when we rest in our Lord.  (I also had to take a rest from many obligations.)

In 2010--Recovery and Reality.   This past year most of my energy was spent recovering from surgeries and cancer treatment.  It was with this recovery phase, that my new reality became clear.  The reality that cancer treatment will always be part of our lives.  When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I thought I would go through treatment and than go back to normal.  Only to discover that there will never be a "normal" like the past.  It is exciting to learn that more and more research is being done with regards to survivorship and the challenges experienced post treatment. 

In 2011--Renewal and Refinement.  Webster defines Renewal as the process of restoring to freshness and vigor.  I am excited!  However, I will admit, I have been fighting the word refinement just a bit.  Refinement often accompanies pain, yet it is within the process of refinement that we strengthen our faith. 

How about you, do you have a word/words for 2011?

5 comments:

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Kim! I'm so glad I stopped by, and that you found the "one word" exercise helpful. I LOVE the words you have chosen for this coming year. They are great words to move toward. Also, I'm an "R" girl myself, so I love that you've gone with that letter to inspire you. I'm looking forward to how this all plays out. God definitely is using you to inspire others, Kim! Thanks for being such a bright presence on my blog, too. It always makes my day to see that you've stopped by.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I'm feeling very good about my blog right now. Thank you for taking off on this one word theme, naming your past years, and claiming the present year. Renewal and Refinement - seems like an inspiring combination. Blessings as you live into your words this year!!

nancyspoint said...

Kim, I really like the words you chose for each of those years. I will have to give some thought to what mine might be. Thinking is always good! Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My word for the year came to me long before 2011 arrived. "Entrusted"... based on the fact that God has entrusted his children with the weighty responsibility of carrying his "kingdom" with us wherever we go. I've had the word engraved on a bracelet so that I am daily reminded of the charge I've been given. Like you, I think I'll spend most of 2011 recovering and being renewed in my journey, both physically and spiritually speaking. It's hard to figure this "surviving" out some days. I want to do more than survive... I want to thrive!

peace~elaine

Jan said...

Hi Kim :) Finally stopping by to get caught up w/you my dear and I wanted to congratulate you on your 2 year cancerversary!!! Being in the midst of the battle, I truly appreciated your take on the subject. I have definitely found it life changing and there are some days where I just don't think I can continue forward ... that's right about the time that God blesses me w/some special someone. He has put sooooooo many wonderful people in my life at just the right time amd I find it all so miraculous. I could not have traveled this journey w/o the love and kindness of so many others. He has truly renewed my faith in my fellow Brothers and Sisters, and I will spend the rest of my life thanking Him for this :) I hope your fatigue dimnishes soon my friend and I look forward to your 3rd anniversary celebration :) God Bless and thank you again for my wonderful "blue bag!!!!"